Monday, November 7, 2011

There Is Life Outside Your Apartment, AKA, Joining My Local RWA


Confession time: I live in my head. A lot. And more often than not, living in my head also means living in my house. All the time. I mean, I occasionally have to leave to find food and shoes and stuff. But other than that? Helllloooooo, couch.

So it was a big stretch for me to actually haul my lame ass down to my local RWA chapter meeting this past weekend. I'd been considering trying to go for months, but there'd always been some reason not to. An out-of-town wedding. A D&D game I couldn't get out of. A severe case of home-body-itis. But this month, I decided. It was time.

And of course, now I wish I'd done it earlier. What a bunch of lovely people. People who don't blink an eye at a gift bag with a vibrator in it. People who order mimosas for any reason at all. People who write romance and like talking books and word counts and craft. People who were even willing to talk to me, a total stranger with a crippling case of shyness around strangers.

Anyway, the meeting was a big success. I made some new acquaintances, got an awesome new plot bunny, and had fun. Best of all, I got some motivation. There's something about being around other people all working on the same goal you are, kwim?

So I paid my $15, and am now on my way to becoming an honest-to-goodness member of CarolinaRomance Writers.

And yes, this means I will have to leave my house at least once a month from now on.




2 comments:

  1. Yay! We are so glad you joined. I think you will be a terrific addition to our group. And I'm glad we didn't scare you off with the Mimosas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no mimosa-drinking definitely does not scare me! Thanks for having me :)

    ReplyDelete