Monday, May 23, 2011

Music To Write To: Numbness, Death and Despair


My favorite descriptions of the writing process are those that liken it to method-acting. When I'm writing a character, I need to get in his head – be where he is, think how he thinks, feel what he feels. And a huge piece of that, for me, is setting the right mood with music.

So this is the beginning of an occasional series. Just a quick playlist with some of my favorite selections to help me get into a certain mood. And what better place to start than with Death and Despair?

I threw this list together when I was writing a particularly grey scene in my novella Letting Go. The character was absolutely numb with grief, so these aren’t my blackest of black songs. They're more ... grey.

  1. God Is In the Roses – Rosanne Cash
  2. Find the River – R.E.M.
  3. Washing of the Water – Peter Gabriel
  4. Are We There Yet – Ingrid Michaelson
  5. Recycled Air – Postal Service
  6. Stars – The Weepies
  7. Never Think – Robert Pattinson (go ahead and laugh, it's okay.)
  8. I Was Watching You – Rosanne Cash
  9. Evaporated – Ben Folds
  10. Stolen Car – Patty Griffin
  11. How You Survived the War – The Weepies
  12. Secret World – Peter Gabriel

What would you add?

No comments:

Post a Comment